Grumpy Bum Mum

Saturday, October 08, 2011

The last 6 weeks, having a broken foot, and not being able to do a whole lot. has been frustrating to say the least. This frustration (which hasn't been helped by severe tiredness, due to a baby who doesn't sleep well) has been flowing over into my parenting and I hate it. I hate being a grumpy mummy. I hate feeling like crap cause I've yelled at Joel too much. I hate this feeling and I want it to stop. I don't want Joel to feel unhappy at home, to feel like I'm always yelling and frustrated and tired. I want to be his biggest cheerleader. The person he knows will always be there for him, no matter what. I want to be a fun, happy and loving mummy to both of the boys. When I have good days as a mummy I think WIN, but the bad days always leave me feeling like the worst mummy in the world. And that's just crazy.

On one of the blogs I follow - Everything is Edible - it's author, Louisa Claire, set herself a challenge to write a Motherhood Mission Statement. Here's what she said on her blog..
"I want a mission statement that gives me a picture of what I am trying to achieve as a mum - the values and practices that matter most to me, so that when I am tempted to feel like I am failing, I have something realistic and tangible to measure myself against. I want to see the real wins for what they are, and same for the times I feel like I'm not doing a good job.... A mission statement is something enduring - it's not bound to a stage of parenting or a season of life but incorporates your goals."
So I am going to join in the challenge. I want to get this right. 
Week 1 Challenge is... What are the words that come to mind when you think about the mum you want to be?
I'll post my thoughts in a few days. Need to really sit and think on what it is I want my mummyhood to look like.
Wanna join in?
Till next time

6 comments:

Ian and Viv Callander said...

Megan, there are many things that I did, many words that I said, and many emotions that I displayed to you kids when you were young that I regret... we all have those moments.
You girls didn't turn out too bad after all that..! We are proud of the way you parent your kids.. Don't worry.. there will be NO lasting effects from a few outbursts.
Love you dearly.. D xoxo

Jodi said...

What a wonderful idea. You are a great Mummy and your boys love you dearly. I look forward to reading all about your journey. xx

Dannii said...

That's a great idea to do a mission statement! I look forward to hearing your chosen words.

I too have day when I feel like a complete and utter failure as a mother. But you know what, we all do!

The thing that brings be back form the depths of depression, and gives me hope again on those really tough days is this one very cliche but very manful verse... "I can do all things through Him who gives me strength!". Yes, with Christ on our side we can conquer all, even parenting!

I could go on and on about this, but basically, I want you to know that you are not alone, but there is hope. If you want to chat sometime about the practical things I do to stop these bad days happening too frequently, and how to bring myself out of them, let me know. We are due for a catch up anyway. We can even just catch up without chatting about all this stuff, no pressure.

Talk to you soon chicy!

Your sister in Christ. xx

Dannii said...

Oh man, I have the worst typos in my comment above! Hope you can read past them LOL.

Tam said...

While it's always good to improve yourself, don't be too hard on yourself!! You've had a tough few weeks. And kids this age can be SUPER frustrating!

You're a wonderful mum, and your kids will remember the good stuff too :)

Mal said...

Megan you know that I completely understand!!! And I agree with the others, we all have these times and you have to remember this and believe that you are doing a good job.
Saying that, it's great that you are assessing and reevaluating you as a mum.
I look forward to following your mission statement. I think I will join you. My last 12 weeks have been the toughest of my life and I think I was on the verge of PND if I wasn't actually there.